Chelsea moved prime of the Premier League for the primary time below Frank Lampard – for just a few hours not less than – with a routine 2-0 victory at Newcastle on Saturday.
Federico Fernandez’s early personal purpose gave Chelsea the lead at St. James’ Park earlier than Timo Werner’s beautiful help arrange Tammy Abraham to seal the factors halfway by way of the second half.
Newcastle hit the bar by way of Sean Longstaff after Abraham’s strike however the hosts have been nicely off the tempo all through as they slipped to back-to-back defeats for the primary time this season.
Chelsea’s fifth consecutive victory extends their unbeaten run in all competitions to 12 video games and lifts them above Leicester into prime spot on purpose distinction forward of the remainder of the weekend’s fixtures. Newcastle stay thirteenth.
Newcastle: Darlow (6), Fernandez (5), Lascelles (5), Clark (5), Manquillo (5), Hayden (5), S Longstaff (6), Lewis (5), Murphy (5), Saint-Maximin (6), Joelinton (5).
Subs: Schar (5), Almiron (6), Carroll (5).
Chelsea: Mendy (7), James (7), Rudiger (7), Zouma (7), Chilwell (7), Kante (8), Kovacic (7), Mount (7), Ziyech (7), Abraham (8), Werner (8).
Subs: Hudson-Odoi (6), Giroud (n/a), Emerson (n/a).
Man of the Match: Tammy Abraham
How Chelsea cruised on Tyneside
Chelsea’s worldwide gamers confirmed little signal of fatigue as they raced into an early lead at St. James’ Park.
Karl Darlow prevented Werner and Abraham from breaking the impasse with two wonderful saves contained in the opening 10 minutes, however the Newcastle goalkeeper was helpless when Fernandez bundled Mason Mount’s cross into his personal web whereas below stress from Ben Chilwell.
Fernandez and Newcastle appealed for a push within the build-up, however a VAR test discovered no infringement from Chilwell, and the purpose was allowed to face because the centre-back registered his fifth Premier League personal purpose since making his debut within the competitors in 2014.
- Ciaran Clark made his first look of the season and Joelinton, Isaac Hayden and Javier Manquillo returned as Newcastle made 4 change from the defeat at Southampton.
- Antonio Rudiger changed Thiago Silva for his first Premier League look of the season in Chelsea’s solely change from the win over Sheffield United.
Newcastle’s reluctance to have interaction Chelsea noticed the guests assume full management of the competition, and they need to have doubled their lead on the half-hour mark when Werner dragged a gilt-edge alternative broad after Abraham had launched him by way of on purpose.
N’Golo Kante’s good block prevented Allan Saint-Maximin from restoring parity as Newcastle grew because the interval approached, however Chelsea saved the hosts at arm’s size.
Fabian Schar changed the injured Jamaal Lascelles at half-time and endured a torrid time as Werner tormented the Newcastle defence.
The Switzerland worldwide was let off the hook after having his pocket picked by Werner, who opted to sq. for Hakim Ziyech as a substitute of taking pictures and allowed the protecting Newcastle defence to interrupt up the transfer.
Kurt Zouma nodded a header broad as Chelsea pushed for a game-clinching second, and it got here in beautiful vogue on 65 minutes.
Werner burst by way of the Newcastle midfield with a shocking 75-yard break that left Schar trailing in his wake earlier than slotting Abraham in behind for him to attain for the third sport operating.
Longstaff’s beautiful 30-yard drive which rattled the woodwork however did not encourage a late Newcastle comeback on a day which belonged to Chelsea from the primary whistle.
Opta stats – Chelsea on the up
- Chelsea have gained 26 Premier League video games towards Newcastle United – solely versus Tottenham Hotspur (30) have they gained extra video games within the competitors.
- Newcastle have misplaced 5 of their final seven dwelling matches within the Premier League (W2), as many as within the earlier 25.
- Newcastle supervisor Steve Bruce has gained simply two of his 24 Premier League video games as supervisor towards Chelsea (D5 L17), shedding eight of his final 9 such encounters (W1).
- Édouard Mendy has registered seven clear sheets in his 9 appearances for Chelsea in all competitions, with at this time’s shutout his fourth in 5 Premier League video games.
- Chelsea have saved three consecutive away clear sheets within the Premier League for the primary time since October 2018.
- Timo Werner has been immediately concerned in 11 targets in his final 10 appearances in all competitions (8 targets, 3 assists).
Man of the Match – Tammy Abraham
Since the beginning of final season, Tammy Abraham has scored 23 targets in all competitions, 11 greater than some other Chelsea participant.
Newcastle journey to Crystal Palace within the Premier League on Friday at 8pm. Chelsea head to Rennes within the group levels of the Champions League on Tuesday at 5.55pm, earlier than internet hosting Tottenham on Super Sunday at 4.30pm – stay on Sky Sports Premier League.